For a healthy, thriving garden, consult this companion planting guide when you’re deciding what seeds to put where.A companion planting guide is almost a necessity for gardeners when there are so many types of fruits and vegetables to choose from. A companion planting guide such as this one will show you which vegetables and flowers support or inhibit the growth of other plants and/or which pests they deter.
- Plant near: most garden crops
- Keep away from: rue
- Comments: improves the flavor and growth of garden crops, especially tomatoes and lettuce. Repels mosquitoes.
- Plant near: beets, cabbage, carrots, catnip, cauliflower, corn, cucumbers, marigolds, potatoes, savory, strawberries
- Keep away from: fennel, garlic, leeks, onions, shallots
- Comments: potatoes and marigolds repel Mexican bean beetles. Catnip repels flea beetles.
- Plant near: corn, marigolds, potatoes, radishes
- Keep away from: beets, garlic, kohlrabi, leeks, onions, shallots
- Comments: same as for bush beans.
- Plant near: broccoli, brussels sprouts, bush beans, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, kohlrabi, onions
- Keep away from: charlock, field mustard, pole beans